Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Game 135: Astros 7, Pirates 4

"Weird" would be the one word I'd use to describe the game against the Pirates on Monday night at Minute Maid Park. Wandy Rodriguez K'd a career-high 13 batters and earned a win, despite turning into Woody Williams in the fourth inning and allowing a million straight extra base hits, subsequently giving up 3 ER. Quick hits on what I saw:

1. Wandy might just be a bonafide hurler.

People keep telling me that the Astros should deal W-Rod to the Yankees or Red Sox. I keep replying that that proposition is ridiculous, as simply, Wandy's ilk doesn't translate to the AL East. He's a contact pitcher, and any sort of contact pitcher who can't throw 90 mph is doomed against the rest of the division. However, I'm starting to think that Rodriguez is just crafty enough to miss bats, no matter where he goes. He's always had a much better home ERA than road, but that might just be a comfort factor over a ballpark factor, as Minute Maid is essentially a neutral park in terms of favoring hitters or pitchers. Do I think Wandy could have worked in Denver? Probably not. Is he a decent #3 or #4 in the Bronx or Boston? Maybe so.

2. Brian Bogusevic is either on a serious hot streak, or has finally figured something out.

I've decried Bogusevic every single day on this blog, but even I can't deny that the dude is hitting now. In fact, post All-Star break, Bogusevic has a Bonds-esque OPS of 1.110. Last night, he went 2 for 4, roping two doubles and driving in the first run of the night. Look, I'm still not totally bought into the hype, but the guy is starting to grow on me, and hey, what fans in Toronto predicted that Jose Bautista had finally figured things out last season? Now he's an MVP candidate. I certainly don't think Bogusevic is that good, but if he's fixed something mechanically, or has changed his approach, I'll start believing. Right now, as one of the readers posted, he's projecting to be a lefty Jason Lane. Could he be better? That's yet to be seen.

3. Jordan Schafer probably deserves the CF spot over Jason Bourgeois.

I really hate to admit it, but it's true. Bourgeois has been mired in an extended slump (3 for his last 20), and he hasn't been showing the superior glovework or baserunning ability that he did at the beginning of the season, when everyone (myself included) was calling for him to take over in left field. Now that an outfield spot is essentially up for grabs, Bourgeois isn't performing. Schafer, on the other hand, has come off the DL running, collecting nine hits, a homer, four RBIs and three stolen bases in his first eight games with the team. He's fast, plays good defense, and has the ability to spray hits. If these trends continue, Schafer will undoubtedly be the starting centerfielder in 2012, and deservedly so.

Tonight, you just might see a running diary. Excited? I am too. Charlie Morton faces Henry Sosa tonight at 7:05.

No comments:

Post a Comment